Directorate General of Secondary and Higher Education (DSHE)
The Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education has been established after re-organizing the erstwhile Directorate of Public Instruction and placed under the administrative control of the Ministry of Education. The responsibility of the Directorate is to guide and control the Secondary and Higher Education of the country and proper implementation and administration of education policy. At present the following Educational Institutions/offices have been placed under the administrative control of the Directorate.
- 252* Government College (include 171 degree college, honours college-25, honours and master college-51 and masters college-05).
- 16*Government Commercial Institutions.
- 14*Teachers training colleges.
- 3*Government Aliah Madrasha.
- 09* Divisional Deputy Director’s office.
- 64*District Education Offices.
- 317*Government Secondary Schools.
- 2803*Non-Government Colleges.
- 15,489* Non-Government Secondary Schools.
- 7343* Non- Government Madrasha.
Functions/Aims Of Directorate
The board functions of the Directorate are as Follows:
- Implementation of education policy of the Government in respect of Secondary and Higher Education.
- To advise the administrative Ministry in matters of formulation of policy concerning general Education at the Level of Secondary and Higher Education of the Country.
- To manage and supervise the academic functions of the Educational Institutions.
- To arrange and supervise execution construction works under the development schemes/projects.
- To maintain the qualitative standard of General Education.
- To evaluate and assess the need for changes in curriculum for different Levels of education under the administrative control of the Directorate.
- To operate revenue and development budgets and to maintain accounts of all the institutions and making arrangement of audit.
- To arrange training both at home and abroad, of the teachers working in different educational institutions (both college and school).
- To administer establishment matters including personnel management involving requisition for recruitment, posting, transfer, promotion, retirement, disciplinary cases of all the officers and employees working under the administrative control of the directorate.
- To prepare and implement the development scheme/projects (Educational) both long-terms and short-terms.
- To initiate introduction of new courses/subjects in Government Educational Institutions and creation of additional required posts with provisions for other necessary facilities for the purpose.
- To process and implement the Government policy of nationalization of schools and colleges.
- To administer Physical Education including development of curriculum and facilities in School/Colleges and organizing games and sports.
- To supply information of educational matters to approve agencies/organizations.
- To process matters relating to foreign tour/training of the officers working under the administrative control of the Directorate.
- To maintain liaison between different departments of Government.
- To coordinate the work of all the Educational institutions.
- To deal with the activities relating to sanction of pensions gratuity benevolent fund, etc. of the Teachers and Staff.
- To prepare budget and give the salary support to The teachers and employees of the non-Government (Secondary school, College, Madrasha, S.S.C Vocational and H.S.C B.M) institutions.