Alia Madrasha was established in 1780 by British government and formed Madrasha education Board of Bengal. Madrasha Education was then started formally. Consequently Madrasha Education was reformed. Especially late Fazlul Haq the prime minister declared in a prize giving ceremony is Kolkata Alia Madrasha in 1939, "I want the spread of Madrasha Education should be modernized and an Arabic University should be established".
To materialize this declaration of share-E-Bangla a committee named Moula Box was formed. This committee, along with the advice of establishing a University for Madrasha students, advises in the following way for the entire development of Madrasha Education. In 1947 after having the independence of Pakistan many commissions was formed for the development of Madrasha Education. Among them in 1949 "West Bengal Educational System Reconstruction Committee" and in 1963-64 the name of Arabic University are especially mentionable.
In 1971 after having the independence of Bangladesh, step has been taken for the active modernization of Madrasha Education. Bengali, Mathematics, English, Social science, General Science are made compulsory. In 1978 Madrasha Education Board was formed under Ordinance for the Modernization of Madrasha Education.
The Madrasha Education Board started its activity independently in 1979. With the passage of time of Madrasha Education, in 1978 humanity and science faculty are included in Alim level and in 1980, Fazil degree was given the standard of Education of H.S.C level.
In the successive step of Education in 1985 dakhil level was given the standard of education of S.S.C. and in 1987 Alim level was given the standard of education of H.S.C for massive reformation of entire education system. As a result the Madrasha student having learnt the root lesson of Islam against themselves with the modern education system. For the revolutionary development of modern science and technology, Bangladesh like other countries of the world, faces a very strong and tough challenge. For facing this challenge, boldly, humanity, science, business and technical education has been included with Madrasha Education. Mean while a law has been passed for the education & the standard of education of Fazil and kamil with those of B.A. and M.A. degree in general education. In fact, action steps are already taken to modernize this curriculum.
In fact, the dream that our noble leader Share-E-Bangla A.K. Fazlul Haq dreamt long before sixty seven years, is going to be materialized although it is very late. At present 30% are the Madrasha students of the total number of students.
So we can certainly say that after having crossed a very hazardous and very troublesome way, Madrasha Education has come to this qualified stage of standard of education.
Activities of Board
- Madrasha Education Board approved the permission/recognition/renewal of Dakhil (S.S.C level) Alim (H.S.C level) according the rules of Govt. All the educational activities of both Fazil and Kamil are conducted by the Madrasha Education Board up to 2006.
- The registration and admission of Dakhil, Alim, Fazil and kamil (Fazil and Kamil till the session 2005-2006) are conducted by Madrasha Education Board.
- The examination of Dakhil, Alim, Fazil & Kamil along with the scholarship exam of Ibtadayee (Class five level) & Dakhil-V111 (Class eight level) are held under this Board. Moreover the publication of result and certificates are issued.
- The committees of non-Govt. Madrasha's are also approved by the Madrasha education Board.
- The text books syllabus and lesson plan are also approved by Madrasha Education Board.
- The Madrasha Education Board bears the expense Cost of boys scout, Rover Scout, Girls Guide and sports.
- Software development has started its function with a view to implement of e-Governance application of Board activities.
- In house training has been arranged for the computer training of the officers & employ